Home Help Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2022, 01:01:37 pm
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 15/24hrs Show Unread Posts | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Recent Posts
News: ~~~~~~~~~~   <--- OMG its a worm!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Internet Discussion
| | |-+  Social Media is dangerous
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Social Media is dangerous  (Read 1893 times)
HIRAETH

fruit cobbler moment

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: hiraethe
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 07:58:48 pm »

i feel like it's possible and even pleasant to use it if you know how to curate things well (blocklists, chronological timeline only, tracking blockers, ublocking the trending tab and only interacting with friends)
as in yin-yang, there are always good things in the bad things. for twitter, for example, it's the artists, especially japanese
tumblr is still alive despite the 2019 purge, and i feel like it's only gotten better as all the crazy discourse has moved to twitter

During my time in using Twitter, I've tried literally everything to block and mute certain things and limit my interactions to friends only, but even then, I can see my friends discussing about drama in the timeline, and my mutes and blocks don't even work for the most part. That's just my experiences with Twitter, and I would literally use literally anything else other than that bird site.

I like singing robots !! If you like talking about UTAU and other vocal synths, hit me up. :D

(icon by hakaine)
Darmodej

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 08:51:22 pm »

can relate :(
a lot of my friends are in chiptune and chiptune community is an eternal battleground

ano, ja jsem on
di

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:49 pm »

i feel like it's possible and even pleasant to use it if you know how to curate things well (blocklists, chronological timeline only, tracking blockers, ublocking the trending tab and only interacting with friends)

as in yin-yang, there are always good things in the bad things.

So true! There's a lot of great art I found through social media that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

I used to feel exactly as you do, but in my opinion, "curating your feed" is also part of the problem. When we continue using the platform, we become pawns in the polarization + atrocities that these corporations cause. (Ranging from Twitter profiting off of pundits arguing about M&M mascots despite actual problems in the world, to Facebook turning a blind eye to the Rohingya crisis)

We can certainly make social media a "pretty" place by sweeping all that hate and vitriol under the rug.. but it's still festering there underneath, and as long as people keep using the platforms, people keep coming to them.

So as "pretty" as I can make sites like FB, Instagram, & Twitter (for myself), I think I'd rather just not use them altogether. Especially now that I know the small web exists! :pc:

HIRAETH, your post from the other day was FIRE! !<o I didn't use Twitter much - I was on the Instagram side of things - but I definitely still feel what you said.

Cobra!

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 12:38:45 am »

I used to feel exactly as you do, but in my opinion, "curating your feed" is also part of the problem. When we continue using the platform, we become pawns in the polarization + atrocities that these corporations cause. (Ranging from Twitter profiting off of pundits arguing about M&M mascots despite actual problems in the world, to Facebook turning a blind eye to the Rohingya crisis)

You know, I could imagine seeing having something curated to me back in the day as a good thing, taking out the bits I don't like, and only being shown stuff I like.

But I guess we need the uninteresting things in life to make the things we really enjoy worth more. Despite having only things that interested me shown on social media, I was never really happy using it. I was bored.

ellievoyyd

Webmistress of Cybergrunge.net - Futa - she/her

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2022, 05:56:54 am »

social media seriously harmed me.
i really think that infinite feeds should be illegal,
they are damaging to peoples health.
i also had the "phantom limb" type experience
it took me MONTHS to stop typing "facebook" into my browser...
seriously...
i would have dissociative episodes and panic attacks...

i know there will never be anything like this,
but i wish that these social media sites and the people who plan
them should stand trial for crimes against humanity -
they have essentially run a MKULTRA style psychological experiment
 on all of humanity just for their own profits...
it is a violation of international law and all common sense...
these companies and the people who made them should really be in prison i think  :-\

the scariest part of it too is that facebook, google,
all these companies are literally started by actual dyed in the wool Fascists
for instance peter theil... i would not be surprised if they know fully well
that they are harming people and actually think it is funny to do so
(after all, Zuckerberg himself famously said
"anyone who uses Facebook is a fucking idiot")

specifically also the effect on women and girls -

i noticed to my horror after i transitioned and began identifying as a woman,
my instagram was suddenly full of "reels" or "stories" of random strangers
who were mostly white, thin attractive women.
it almost felt as though it was an intentional tactic of abuse!

it is often for misogynistic, evil men to make women feel insecure
and ugly so that they do not have the confidence to stand up for themselves
i would not be surprised if Zuckerberg and the toxic misogynists who work for him and his ilk
are fully aware of this even and do it on purpose.
it might sound conspiratorial, but...

yeah... thats my input...

== Official WebMistress of Cybergrunge.net ==
Cobra!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 05:01:52 pm »

I just stumbled across this video that explains how social media negatively effects people who make "content" as well. Definitely worth a watch, though I think he's a bit naive about his predictions near the end.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:30:42 pm by Cobra! » Logged

Ice
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2022, 06:33:38 pm »

I just stumbled across this video that explains how social media negatively effects people who make "content" as well. Definitely worth a watch, though I think he's a bit naive about his predictions near the end.

This gives me hope as a small "content" creator.
Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 01:05:07 am »

What's interesting I think is its not just social media. My own site went on a transition from being a place I share stuff that I made, to being a site where I was making stuff to share. That was when I realized that for me web development was not about sharing art, the web development was the art. I think we are definitely on the road to a post-content web, where content no longer exists because content is the web.

Cobra!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2022, 06:42:56 pm »

I fear that as long as social media continues on the way it is, that won't happen.
I think either the internet as a whole needs to stray away from social media, or social media platforms need to change drastically to stop keeping their members addicted to them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines RSS | WAP2 | BBCode Help

Melon Sites!
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Visit the Gif Gallery! Support the Forum
Friend Communites!