Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @511.40 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  ⚽︎ ∙ Games Gallery
| | | |-+  ✧ entrance or exit: introduction ✧

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ✧ entrance or exit: introduction ✧  (Read 2174 times)
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: November 14, 2021 @382.19 »

✧ welcome to ✧

_                                    _  
       ( )_                                  _ ( )_
  __  ___ | ,_) _ __  _ _  ___   ___  __    _  _ __    __    (_)| ,_)
 /'__`\/' _ `\| | ( '__)/'_` )/' _ `\ /'___) /'__`\  /'_`\ ( '__)  /'__`\(`\/':wink:| || |
( ___/| ( ) || |_ | | ( (_| || ( ) |( (___ ( ___/  ( (_) )| |   ( ___/ > < | || |_
`\____)(_) (_)`\__)(_) `\__,_)(_) (_)`\____)`\____)  `\___/'(_)   `\____)(_/\_)(_)`\__)

entrance or exit ✧ is a virtual gallery which explores the idea of virtual worlds and what art could look like free from IRL limitations. the goal is to collaborate with other artists and to foster a digital community on the free web. every exhibition will be archived and always accessible. as of now, these projects will (try to) support online multiplayer. ✧ --(https://entranceorexit.net/inf:ha:smile:

PLEASE VISIT AT ENTRANCEOREXIT.NET !

--> hey everyone! this is the basic run-down of my virtual gallery project, entrance or exit. the idea is to put together virtual exhibitions by collaborating with artists / curating group shows in an attempt to explore how to present art in a virtual world context, but also bring together artists that may not have a venue/platform otherwise! this is very much in the spirit of art for art's sake, as i do not plan to monetize this in anyway.

--> right now i am currently working on the first ~official~ group exhibition, loosely based on the theme of dreams. stay tuned for the opening date n more info! i have an amazing group of artists involved and plan to do a ~virtual opening~ , including some curated music, a live chatbox, and a multiplayer function so that you can view the exhibition with friends and strangers :-)

--> as these projects take me a while and i am just one person, i can't guarantee an exhibition schedule - but stay tuned for future open calls!

--> the tech rundown:

✧ -- i use unity for the game engine, and export the project to webGL to be able to run on the browser.
  ✧ -- i accept images, 3d models, videos, audio, even text!
  ✧ -- the multiplayer works via photon PUN 2 - eventual tutorial on basic multiplayer coming soon....

✧ --> this post is a work in progress, be back later ! <3 ✧

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021 @1.04 by cinni » Logged

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021 @550.37 »

I'm really excited about this project! There's something so magical about it...

I did something for the first open call, and it was really cool to participate! :grin:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021 @1.49 »

Looking forward to the first show! I had one or two friends look at the early draft and they were a mix of impressed and jealous, that's a good start!

Although a they both found the camera controls a little confusing, so that might be something to tinker with.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021 @899.28 »

woohoo! glad to have everyone's support :grin: <3

Looking forward to the first show! I had one or two friends look at the early draft and they were a mix of impressed and jealous, that's a good start!

Although a they both found the camera controls a little confusing, so that might be something to tinker with.

i appreciate any feedback on the controls! i took some inspo from your games and made it so the camera angle is moved by a click+drag, so your mouse is still free to use the chat or media player. any thoughts on what would make it better?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021 @944.42 »

Ok yes! I guessed you were basing it off what I said about mouse-locking, so you are the first prototype test case for that theory :tongue:

What you did was not something I ever considered, you kept traditional WASD movement, but used unlocked mouse movement at the same time. So its like half of one system and half of another. I think that is difficult for people, they have to half relearn half of an interaction method they already know.

BUT I think it could work really well with a few edits, so these are my suggestions; make it clear the user has to hold the mouse to look, and when they do that, hide the cursor, and invert the panning directions from what you have now (so its like a first person camera). When you let go of the mouse button, unlock the mouse again. Ill dub this temporary-mouse-locking!

That way the only thing a traditional games person needs to learn is to hold the mouse button, everything else would be natural.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021 @499.72 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021 @954.18 »

Ok yes! I guessed you were basing it off what I said about mouse-locking, so you are the first prototype test case for that theory :tongue:

What you did was not something I never considered, you kept traditional WASD movement, but used unlocked mouse movement at the same time. So its like half of one system and half of another. I think that is difficult for people, they have to half relearn half of an interaction method they already know.

BUT I think it could work really well with a few edits, so these are my suggestions; make it clear the user has to hold the mouse to look, and when they do that, hide the cursor, and invert the panning directions from what you have now (so its like a first person camera). When you let go of the mouse button, unlock the mouse again. Ill dub this temporary-mouse-locking!

That way the only thing a traditional games person needs to learn is to hold the mouse button, everything else would be natural.

ahh, makes sense! seems easy enough for me to do. thanks, i'll try it out :-D

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

The Moment of Exiting the Small Web Counterculture Focus

Started by shevekBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 12
Views: 539
Last post April 09, 2024 @141.01
by arcus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi