Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @656.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?  (Read 1113 times)
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: February 19, 2022 @873.67 »

I'm looking to learn C++ so I can make PC games. Aside from getting the window to work, I don't really know where to start so I'm here asking for recommendations.

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022 @957.49 »

~Puts CS major hat on~

Ok so the question here is what other languages do you know and how well do you know them? For the sake of others reading this Ill assume little-none!

So C++ is a very old language (its from the 80s or something) so its got a lot of quirks and such that make it quite complicated to learn. Learning C++ is a bit like learning Latin before learning French or Spanish. It will make you a fantastic programmer and make all other languages easier, BUT it will be very hard.

If you're totally starting out, look up a "Programing Fundamentals" course (I like youtube courses, but there are books too) and do that, do this before you do anything else, this is good for anyone interested in code or even just computers!

After that the question Id ask is; do you want to be a PROGRAMMER or just make cool things with code? Being a programmer is a career, it takes years and will only suit some people, but everyone can learn a little code to make cool things.

If you want to be a programmer, than the best thing Id suggest is starting some small C++ projects. Prob the best way to do that is make a lil game in the Unreal Engine, it uses C++ and has a lot of help and tutorials you can follow. You can also try starting with C since it is even more basic and leads directly into C++. To help you along the way there are a few good tutorials out there, but really doing a project is the best way to learn.

If you just want to make cool things with code, don't worry about complex languages like C++, learn Javascript. Its much kinder you can do everything with it. (Id avoid PHP as its more limited, but its also a good starting option).

Hopefully that helps a little! :innocent:

Disclosure, my first "fully" learned languages were (in this order, its a weird order) - C, PHP, Java, C#, Javascript
Languages I only partially know C++, Swift, Objective-C, Ruby, Haskell, GML
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022 @960.97 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1006
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Collecting 90s Texture CD Links

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 7030
Last post October 18, 2023 @880.69
by WynnDawnstrider
Ozwomp's Voyage in Cyberspace - Video Project

Started by MelooonBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 1802
Last post December 06, 2021 @791.33
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi