Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @927.20 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ✧゚・:cinni's oekaki board:・゚✧

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ✧゚・:cinni's oekaki board:・゚✧  (Read 4285 times)
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: November 15, 2021 @932.31 »

this is a shameless self-plug for my oekaki board! :-D https://oekaki.cinni.net/

feel free to stop by and doodle! what's an oekaki board some of you may ask?
 --> it's an old school forum with a drawing program included, so you can post your drawings to the BBS (bulletin board system)

i'm using POTI-board as the template for the oekaki bbs ->
https://github.com/satopian/poti-kaini-EN
since oekaki boards are old programs, plz excuse some of the janky-ness with the site. i'm slowly working on a guide to make the site easier to use ;w;
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021 @1.63 by cinni » Logged

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021 @478.45 »

First time I hear about an oekaki board, and I love the bbs feeling of it, and the way it looks. Congrats for putting it together!

Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021 @105.45 »

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in ages...it's fantastic to see someone keeping the oekaki tradition alive! I completely missed the intial wave Back In The Day...I legitimately just thought "oekaki" was a word to describe people who used MS Paint to create art (whoops). It's nice to have an opportunity to finally try it out for real. On another note, I love the theme and the "logo" you've designed for the site. Although, that may just be another way of saying, I think you really have the old-school web aesthetic down to a T while also keeping it fresh :cool:

Was there any particular inspiration for getting this set up? Or just a fun web experiment?

Status Cafe Profile
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021 @274.03 »

thanks so much everyone! i'm glad you are enjoying it :loved:

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in ages...it's fantastic to see someone keeping the oekaki tradition alive! I completely missed the intial wave Back In The Day...I legitimately just thought "oekaki" was a word to describe people who used MS Paint to create art (whoops). It's nice to have an opportunity to finally try it out for real. On another note, I love the theme and the "logo" you've designed for the site. Although, that may just be another way of saying, I think you really have the old-school web aesthetic down to a T while also keeping it fresh :cool:

Was there any particular inspiration for getting this set up? Or just a fun web experiment?

first off, i love your drawing that you posted so much! AHHHH ;w;

im glad u like the logo! i was trying to evoke old video game vibes n got the font from this graphic designer i follow. i have tons of pixel fonts but i thought this one was unique enough to purchase bwahaha. i got 'em here. their other fonts are so crazy good tooooo

i used to go on oekaki boards back in the day, when they were more popular. i think i would lurk/doodle in a few oekaki boards run by popular deviantart artists. i always thought it was so cool that you could play back animations of drawings! at the ~height~ of oekaki board-ism there was much more of a system in place - some sites had a sketch board, and to be able to draw in the main board you had to apply - AND if you were *really* good you would be able to draw in the ~special~ oekaki board, LOL. the communites were way bigger back then, though.

anyways, since i started neocities i always wanted to create my own oekaki board, but with a more chill/cozy vibe. OFC with static hosting it wasn't really an option, so when i heard about leprd.space i jumped right on that so i could finally make the oekaki board of my dreams haha. i noticed that oekaki boards were more rare now which just made me want to make one so much more!

sans
Newbie ⚓︎

always watching

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021 @876.84 »

omg I remember oekaki boards from chicken smoothie's own oekaki boards, do you recommend starting a personal version of one of these?

Darmodej

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022 @758.56 »

btw youre the person i found this site from, which i found from mayaland, which i found from marijn, which i found from gemini, which i found from i dont remember
anyway oekaki boards are goated :cool:

ano, ja jsem on
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022 @107.27 »

omg I remember oekaki boards from chicken smoothie's own oekaki boards, do you recommend starting a personal version of one of these?

(i totally meant to respond to this way sooner, oops!) but yess! if you have access to dynamic hosting it's not as hard as i thought it would be to set up. it would be super fun to have an oekaki board just for yourself n friends! i took the extra step of adding in a login system to avoid spam since i wanted to make mine public, but otherwise the POTI-board template works out of the box. :-p

btw youre the person i found this site from, which i found from mayaland, which i found from marijn, which i found from gemini, which i found from i dont remember
anyway oekaki boards are goated :cool:

woahh! that's a fun rabbithole haha. and thenkz i missed oekaki's a lot and was so excited when i finally figured out how to set one up! :omg:k:

Sylvian
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022 @237.97 »

I think this is cool, I'd like to do my own -- do you experience any annoyances with maintenance or is it easy to maintain and filter

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022 @813.25 »

I think this is cool, I'd like to do my own -- do you experience any annoyances with maintenance or is it easy to maintain and filter

it's pretty simple to get it set up, but here's where i've run into small problems (note: i am not well versed in php, juuuuust enough to tweak a thing here or there):

- by default anyone can post and upload images. to mitigate spam a little bit, i included a simple login system. there are no actual *accounts* or profiles, but it prevents anyone from making a post unless theyre logged in - otherwise it redirects to the register page. i've also disabled image uploads :-p i would also use a honeypot for the login, because one time i found a bot trying to register like 16,000 accounts... (ow my database)

- because i spent hours customizing and tweaking the code to implement these changes, i actually don't know the best way to upgrade the software without losing all the data intact @_@'''' this is a problem of my own making tho haha

- because the original software is in japanese and it's a bit obscure, it's a little hard to find english support for it... i actually spent a day translating all the japanese comments in the files T_T

- i've been lucky enough where i don't really need to keep my eye on the site to look out for spam, etc because it's not super active :p (*fingers crossed*)

let me know if you have any further questions!!

Sylvian
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022 @918.13 »

- because the original software is in japanese and it's a bit obscure, it's a little hard to find english support for it... i actually spent a day translating all the japanese comments in the files T_T
let me know if you have any further questions!!

That's pretty cool, have you uploaded your version of the translated documentation anywhere? I'd like to mirror it also. A lot of interesting things on the web are inaccessible due to localization issues (e.g., Chinese internet is pretty much splintered off from the West).

Jollyswoosh

Don't overthink it! They/Them

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022 @61.34 »

Oh wow, this is so cool! I haven't been on a oekaki board in years. Used so many between 2003 to 2009ish. Show specific ones like Teen Titan, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Codename: Kids Next Door. There was one giant board that I remember using, but I can't remember the name. It had a sketch board, a spam board, a novice, intermediate, and advanced board... I think it might have been related to the Naruto forums, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway! Definitely gonna go draw something. :ha:

Ɩ тнιиκ Ɩ'ℓℓ cαʋƨɛ ρяσвℓɛмƨ σи ρʋяρσƨɛ.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi