Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @395.61 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have personal website pet peeves?  (Read 6650 times)
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022 @634.19 »

Oh a big one I thought though of; scrolling badge sections! Where people have their site badges in a marquee, so you have to sit there and wait in order to see all the sites badges they have. I think that's really disrespectful because it makes it so much harder for people to see the badges; its a bit like saying "I don't really care about these badges I just have them as decoration"

Oof, gotta agree with this one. Especially if they get faster as you hover... like, what's the point of having buttons anymore?!

NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022 @696.83 »

Websites that almost exclusively bright graphics for everything is bad for when I'm viewing it at night

I'm kind of the opposite- bright and calm aesthetics are fine, but if a site has super dark graphics exclusively, it bums me out.

Quick flashing lights bother me, as well; I'm not seizure-prone, but it just strains my eyes. I can stare at a white screen on my 90-brightness monitor all day, but if it started flashing between white and light grey, I'm out.
Kitchen Staff
Casual Poster ⚓︎

He/they/glitch

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: KitchenStaff

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022 @20.56 »

A list of pet peeves that I have
  • When they have their ENTIRE blinkie/stamp/button collection on the homepage.Just makes it look cluttered.
  • When there are images over text.It makes it hard to read.
  • When the text and the background look like they're merging together

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022 @904.35 »

Mine is Autoplay...

It can get kind of annoying when I´m listening to music/podcast and then I open this site and it blares music.

Like just make it optional. you don´t need autoplay.

Pepyogurt
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Käse, käse, wo ist die käse?

StatusCafe: pepyo
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022 @442.30 »

Mine is Autoplay...

It can get kind of annoying when I´m listening to music/podcast and then I open this site and it blares music.

Like just make it optional. you don´t need autoplay.

As a Firefox user, there's an additional annoyance when it comes to this sort of thing. Firefox has a feature that automatically disables things like autoplay, so when a site suddenly starts playing music when I haven't allowed it to, it throws me into a bit of confusion.

Jollyswoosh

Don't overthink it! They/Them

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022 @88.90 »

I haven't seen anyone mention this and I do love a little rant, so I'd like to add: Links to the webmaster's social media, especially if those links are on the homepage.

At least in web revival circles, I didn't come to someone's personal website to get directed back out to instagram or the like. I get why people do it -- a lot of people have the majority of their backlog and following on various social media sites. It makes sense to just say "Hey, there's a lot more of the things I've made on these other sites" rather than repost it. But still.

Ɩ тнιиκ Ɩ'ℓℓ cαʋƨɛ ρяσвℓɛмƨ σи ρʋяρσƨɛ.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022 @831.34 »

This one is thankfully not nearly as popular as it used to be, but anytime people use right-click disable scripts or put rants in their pages about not right-clicking things. It doesn't prevent bad actors from taking things, it just makes things difficult for everyone else!!!!

Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022 @868.14 »

This one is thankfully not nearly as popular as it used to be, but anytime people use right-click disable scripts or put rants in their pages about not right-clicking things. It doesn't prevent bad actors from taking things, it just makes things difficult for everyone else!!!!
Oh man, I forgot all about that! I remember the trick I learned as a kid was "press enter on the keyboard while still holding down the right mouse button" to be a HACKERMAN and get the context menu to appear. It didn't stop us even as tiny tots! And I just remember wanting to, like, save cool pokemon gifs and stuff, it wasn't for use on my own website or anything. How silly that it became so prevalent!

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2022 @905.65 »

I don't like it if a website goes 100% width. It just looks so uncomfortable to read and all the lines get really long! I prefer it if it flexes across my screen to cover only 60% in the center or so.
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2022 @911.86 »

Oh man, I forgot all about that! I remember the trick I learned as a kid was "press enter on the keyboard while still holding down the right mouse button" to be a HACKERMAN and get the context menu to appear. It didn't stop us even as tiny tots! And I just remember wanting to, like, save cool pokemon gifs and stuff, it wasn't for use on my own website or anything. How silly that it became so prevalent!

oh YES this annoys me a lot loll. i saw a website recently that had a page of adoptables with links to their original sites but i tried to right click>open in new tab (pls use target="_blank" ppl..) and got hit with a "no stealing!!! go to the original source : )" hahaha like thanks im TRYING *presses ctrl+u*

wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2022 @356.10 »

If you're gonna join a web ring, please don't remove the web ring links from your site without getting yourself removed from the list!

It's a drag to realise that both of your immediate neighbours have basically cut you off from the rest of the ring.

ol1vi4s-corner

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022 @613.16 »

super loud autoplay music that doesn't have a pause button... im okay if you can stop it but if not, its just a pain in the ass
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022 @979.18 »

All lowercase text. It honestly just makes it harder to read. Also, when people makes their 88x31 buttons much bigger, so when I add them to my site I have to specify that it's 88x31 in the HTML code.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022 @21.01 »

One thing that bothers me a lot when browsing Neocities is when web pages suddently start blasting music in my ears without any sort of warning.

tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2022 @715.19 »

I think probably my biggets pet peeve is pages that are supposed to be zoomed out but there are no warnings/it's nto written anywhere (i mean something like: "best viewd at 80 percent zoom":wink:.
It makes me think the site is broken at first glance tbh also a lot of sites that i have to zoom out on have super tiny text and zooming out makes it even tinier :ohdear:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5156
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4280
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1797
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi