Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @644.68 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 55/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  Anagram generator

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anagram generator  (Read 497 times)
bearbearbear

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 21, 2023 @373.69 »

I made an anagram generator. Well, I started making one, it's still pretty rough and I'm not sure if I'll ever polish it. Some notes:

* It should generate all anagrams for the given input exactly once. It should generate all permutations of multi-word anagrams.
* It is written in TypeScript so it runs locally on the user's machine. That's why I didn't add any restrictions on input length. However...
* It makes heavy use of sub-result caching in hopes of being fast. Unfortunately this also means that it will crash on long inputs eventually as memory runs out.
* It takes about 600 ms to generate all options for my first and last name (12 letters). If I add my middle name (5 letters), it crashes due to the above.
* It is still very difficult to find fun anagrams with it. Spying on some other generators online, I found that it would be smart to first generate anagrams with the least number of words as those are usually more interesting than ones with many small words.
* It might be good to use web workers to keep the UI responsive while generating the results. I might try that at some point as I've never used them before.

I joined this forum to publish small unpolished projects like this, hoping that the first question won't be "what's the use of this?". I hope someone finds this one even a tiny bit entertaining!
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023 @685.08 »

Hah, this is far from nonsense. I guess I'll consult this word generator when I'm out of imagination for new names.

Although I'd prefer if your server would do the scripting in the background instead of having JavaScript running in the browser. But it's certainly working fast in new browsers.
deuil
Casual Poster

iMood: deuil

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023 @761.53 »

i love that ! i can definitely see myself using those anagram results for art projects. i wish i could give feedback on the coding part but i'm very much clueless about that.  :drat: this is basically wizardry to me. but i do like this anagram generator way more than any fancy UI anagram generators out there. the no-nonsense interface and hundreds of possible results are pretty inspiring. thank you for sharing it !

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023 @96.78 »

ike pi eli  :smile:  lip i eek i  :omg:  ilk pee i i :defrag:

Now figure out what I originally wrote  :ozwomp:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
beating hearts bby

take my memories of her with u

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bumblebear
iMood: dahliahawthorne
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023 @799.39 »

i love this, thanks for sharing!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Earthbound Text Generator

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 7
Views: 3832
Last post March 04, 2023 @848.91
by sig
Random Art Generator ! ! !

Started by ellievoyydBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 8
Views: 2216
Last post February 03, 2022 @753.85
by Darmodej
Static Site Generators

Started by ObspogonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 1525
Last post June 06, 2022 @986.44
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi