Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @314.62 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 55/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Dialup aesthetics in 2022

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dialup aesthetics in 2022  (Read 1153 times)
Sylvian
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: April 29, 2022 @36.68 »

Anyone here miss dialup and dialup aesthetics?

I'm probably going to make my own dialup provider using this tutorial

The protocol for dialup is called ppp (point to point)

I can't remember the source for this, but I read that ppp protocol is based on original phone calling where the phone-numbers represented physical locations, and each phone along the line would forward your request to its destination. This no longer happens, because there aren't physical links between telephones anymore -- the trunks in your telephone poles get routed to a VOIP

It's also difficult to have a dialup soft modem as they can't get the tones right(?)

Why make a dialup service provider? Just for artistic purpose. I once thought maybe having your own dialup provider would be useful for a rural area. However, a lot of rural places in the world don't have telephone poles. So purely for creativity

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022 @580.15 »

Hmmmmmm, dialup aesthetic :tongue: It made an intense noise that was not very helpful if you wanted to sneak online without your parents knowing..
Also also those routers are made by USR, that's the company that made all the killer robots in I,Robot :ozwomp:

Id love to hear how your project progresses though. I always though if I had a big house (or a house at all) it would be fun to have a per floor terminal system for storing recipes and notes and stuff! Something like this but just in home (although you could also connect it to a server and then your friends could have terminals too and you could make your own mini bbs)

Using something like this!

It's also difficult to have a dialup soft modem as they can't get the tones right(?)
Is that really true? Im dont know much about dial tones, but a software tone should be pitch perfect?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022 @650.65 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Sylvian
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022 @174.57 »

Hmmmmmm, dialup aesthetic :tongue: It made an intense noise that was not very helpful if you wanted to sneak online without your parents knowing..

Also also those routers are made by USR, that's the company that made all the killer robots in I,Robot :ozwomp:
Lol, I don't think I ever sneaked online without my parents knowing. I miss neopets, though. Some really great pixel art and banners, I enjoyed that you could create your own page with html and css.

Id love to hear how your project progresses though. I always though if I had a big house (or a house at all) it would be fun to have a per floor terminal system for storing recipes and notes and stuff! Something like this but just in home (although you could also connect it to a server and then your friends could have terminals too and you could make your own mini bbs)

Using something like this!

That's cool, I like it. I've wanted to make a LAN service library portal for old VHS and books. Not too much space ATM sadly :/ so probably just gonna add some more stuff to my networking area on my rack. I started out trying to use koha, but it seemed really bloated for my use case.

Is that really true? Im dont know much about dial tones, but a software tone should be pitch perfect?
I need to find the source, IIRC there is some problem with tones
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022 @175.82 by Sylvian » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Y2K & Gen-X Corporate Aesthetic (and other retro aesthetics)

Started by Cobra!Board ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 5
Views: 859
Last post June 02, 2023 @396.23
by soop
Spooky Webpage Awards 2022! Closed

Started by MelooonBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 10
Views: 1494
Last post November 02, 2022 @624.33
by creaturefeature
dialup.world

Started by starbreakerBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 2
Views: 563
Last post August 18, 2023 @592.87
by starbreaker

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi