Home Help Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2022, 02:31:32 pm
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 13/24hrs Show Unread Posts | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Recent Posts
News: ~~~~~~~~~~   <--- OMG its a worm!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  Graphic Design
| | |-+  Logo creation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Logo creation  (Read 142 times)
Icelogist

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2022, 04:35:53 am »

Recently, started using Inkscape to make icons for my site. However, I also started experimenting with logos and adding a logo to my site. I made it in 10 minutes with some extra time to satisfy my protectionist self (I struggled with the eyes).

But then I also starting thinking about other people's logos and the thought behind them. Some are boring like the current MasterCard logo. Others are hideous. And some are good. In some logos there exist a meaning behind it like for example the Microsoft logo with each square representing a product.

I don't have much else to say but I will share my logo in the attachments. (Note that it was only tested with black backgrounds, white themes won't work well.)

* logo.png (10.21 kB, 499x130 - viewed 18 times.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:16:38 am by Icelogist » Logged
Karius

He/they

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 08:59:04 am »

Your logo's looking pretty cool!

I had no idea about that aspect of Microsoft's logo :o I feel logos are at their best when they're simple with a certain aspect that's really recognizable (the little guy on yours is an example, actually).

The more complex a logo is, the harder it is to remember... which is why most logos and app icons tend to get more minimalist over time, I think.

A good example of what not to do would be your average metal band logo XD Seriously, in a large portion of them you can't even read the band's name.

Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 08:42:20 pm »

I did some digging and I was able to find a sheet of old logos I did for my minecraft servers for you!

They were made in a mix of Adobe Illustrator and Pixelmator. I think my fav is the tri-colour Okicraft logo with green for grass, brown for dirt and grey for stone; it ties nicely into the theme of a earthy friendly server.

Often its just about having something that ties your stuff together, so it just needs to act like the glue that says this is related to X thing. For my site Iv tried to avoid any logo becouse being anti-brand is kinda part of the melonking.net brand, although recently I have needed one more to tie in all the stuff Im working on..

With that in mind I think your logo is fine, it does everything a logo needs to do. Although also side note I really like the MasterCard logo! Its sorta 80s yet it gets across the idea of overlapping transactions.. I also really like the Fedex logo because it has a hidden arrow between the e and the x so it subliminally makes you think of movement and forwardness.

EDIT: I also notice that a big thing I do us use fonts as branding. For example Nicky and Shipments use the same font as Okicraft to tie them into the server and connect them. I do the same on my site using yellow times new roman text.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:45:44 pm by Melooon » Logged

Neonriser

Creator of Nett

Discord: Neonriser#6841
StatusCafe: neonriser
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 03:49:20 am »

Here are some examples I made:

Here's one that I linked to because it's too big:
https://neonriser.neocities.org/image/hosting/third_impact.png

Web design is my passion!

Icelogist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 12:18:51 am »

I did some digging and I was able to find a sheet of old logos I did for my minecraft servers for you!

They were made in a mix of Adobe Illustrator and Pixelmator. I think my fav is the tri-colour Okicraft logo with green for grass, brown for dirt and grey for stone; it ties nicely into the theme of a earthy friendly server.

Nice collection! My personal favorite is the hand drawn LOYLOY logo, but I don't think it would work as the go to logo since it's more complicated and would be harder to memorize. But I do understand why you would like the Okicraft logo.

Often its just about having something that ties your stuff together, so it just needs to act like the glue that says this is related to X thing. For my site Iv tried to avoid any logo becouse being anti-brand is kinda part of the melonking.net brand, although recently I have needed one more to tie in all the stuff Im working on..

Anti-brand? That's something I should research. What is your definition of it?

I had no idea about that aspect of Microsoft's logo :o I feel logos are at their best when they're simple with a certain aspect that's really recognizable (the little guy on yours is an example, actually).

It's actually pretty tricky to make the Icelogist head because I don't have any standards for it, the eyes have to be the hardest thing about the logo because bringing them too close will look weird while bringing them too far will also look weird, and you also have to look at perspectives when you are far away or close to it. It's about getting to the sweet spot that counts when designing a logo (in my case).

Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 01:58:52 am »

Id describe it as the lack of a brand, the absence of any consistent logo, name or theme. Its the opposite of a brand!

Icelogist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 09:21:45 am »

Id describe it as the lack of a brand, the absence of any consistent logo, name or theme. Its the opposite of a brand!

I am always used to the idea of having a logo with a short and simple name to show off that you have ownership and I find this idea new. Kinda makes me think about how weirdly I looked at mom and pop restaurants with bazaar names like for example "Tony's large baked pizzas and bacon" when in reality they where trying to make the name stand out, not make things recognizable. However, I will still stick with the logo approach since I am not gonna throw out the baby with the bath water (it means something good is eliminated when trying to get rid of something bad).

Edit: When I said "don't throw out the baby with the bath water" I meant I don't know what to do better than what I am doing currently.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:28:35 am by Icelogist » Logged
Gans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 12:17:56 pm »

You guys have a more professional approach than what I'll show on the image in the attachment (which can be seen only when being logged in here).

WordArt, font-manipulation being a part of Microsoft Word. It's great to play around and easy to use. But the font selection on a standard computer is quite limited, so you either have to keep your computer for 20 years so that various programs (for example Mickeys Creation Suite, Cheap Greeting Card Designers, Photoshop, odd Office programs like ClarisWorks maybe) stack up more interesting fonts on your system. Or you look online for some more fonts specifically.

I think the most important aspect of a logo with font is, that it has to be readable. Fancy design aside, that aspect has to work first like an engine has to work first before sounding great.

* Wordart.PNG (34.62 kB, 900x600 - viewed 23 times.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:41:04 pm by Gans » Logged
Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 02:31:42 pm »

image in the attachment (which can be seen only when being logged in here).
Oh thanks for reporting this! It should be fixed now.

Also ClarisWorks is elite :-* Im sure there must be a way to extract the old fronts from these programs and convert them to ttf (TrueType aka modern font format) if they are not already in it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines RSS | WAP2 | BBCode Help

Melon Sites!
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Visit the Gif Gallery! Support the Forum
Friend Communites!