Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @157.66 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 50/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Thoughts on credit

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on credit  (Read 1187 times)
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: May 15, 2022 @481.99 »

Since I grew up with DeviantArt culture (which admittedly cares about crediting artists to an extreme degree), I'm used to seeing people credit others when they edit their work.

My question is: should we apply Web designers the same courtesy?

I remember being an HTML and CSS newbie and trying to copy others' codes or emulate their look. Each time I'd ask the original coders whether that was okay, and I'd try to understand the logic behind it. Copying code can be very helpful, don't get me wrong, but it feels a bit disrespectful to publish someone else's hard work with very few changes...

Maybe it's the lingering DeviantArt user in me speaking, though. What do you guys think?

- Alastor

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022 @499.48 »

Hmmm, credit on websites is loose; I don't think you need to credit for code snippets, particularly if you modify them beyond being recognisable.

You definitely don't need to be like "I got x script from MooseMan56 and y gif from xXMegaEggXx" :tongue:

However I think its good practice to keep a badge section on your site and include badges to sites that you found inspiring or that provided assets. Its not an explicit credit, but a low key link back helps those sites that helped you get visitors and helps your visitors find the cool stuff that inspired you.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022 @599.16 »

I started with using base codes that were free to use and on my first website when I modified it enough I just removed the original credit since aside from the grid layout it had nothing in common anymore. On my site I credited the gallery code I used but mostly since it was from a Codepen and I wanted to link back to it for people who might want to use it, I recommend people just use a website for their art all the time anyway lol

But I'll second Melooon on this, that was one of the reasons why I made an archive for old soulbonding sites on my own since while I wasn't really taking the code I was using them for inspiration

Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022 @625.96 »

Hmmm, credit on websites is loose; I don't think you need to credit for code snippets, particularly if you modify them beyond being recognisable.

You definitely don't need to be like "I got x script from MooseMan56 and y gif from xXMegaEggXx" :tongue:

However I think its good practice to keep a badge section on your site and include badges to sites that you found inspiring or that provided assets. Its not an explicit credit, but a low key link back helps those sites that helped you get visitors and helps your visitors find the cool stuff that inspired you.

I suppose you're right. I think that it entirely depends on what the original creator wants with their work... for example, my code and (most of) my art is free-to-use non-commercially as long as you give credit and you allow others to do the same. It's a good idea to have boundaries set in place (preferably on the homepage where everyone can see them XD). I think most people who care about credit should familiarize themselves with different types of copyright too- I get that people are attached to to their work, so having clear "rules" off the start is good practice.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2344
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage
Your thoughts on the forum categories?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 34
Views: 5440
Last post November 15, 2023 @892.60
by keybladekid6
Nightly thoughts

Started by ArtisTheFoxBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1030
Last post June 20, 2022 @973.50
by myry

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi