Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @446.04 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  Cybertown

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cybertown  (Read 1347 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: May 21, 2022 @32.79 »

I just discovered this in one of my surfs across the internet. There was this 3D online chat room in the mid 90s to late 2000s called "Cybertown", and it was pretty revolutionary for it's time!

You had custom 3D avatars, got to explore 3D worlds and chat via text. It was way more limited than the likes of VRChat and Second Life today, but I imagine I'd have loved it if I knew about it at the time! (Though my PC probably couldn't have run it)

From what I've been told, it even had a virtual currency, and they had people do jobs to earn it, which could be used to buy avatar items and furniture for your house. It was like a full digital economy!

There's a revival project going on, though functionality is fairly limited for now, but more is to come.

Anyone here ever used Cybertown back in the day?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022 @35.39 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023 @961.89 »

Bumping this because it looks super cool and I wanna remeber to look into it more / hear more about it  :omg:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023 @975.68 »

no freaking way!!!!

i have been trying for YEARS to find what this was because i distinctly remember chatting in cybertown, but i could NOT find it at all! i remember there were also homes you could have, like second life's custom worlds, and ... just WOW. i'm gonna have to check out this revival. i cannot believe you just plucked this from my memory, @Cobra! !
DiffydaDude
Full Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023 @611.10 »

OMG I know about this one! I've been planning to port the Cybertown maps and stuff into Source engine! VRML is a really cool topic to dive into. I even found tapes online of VR development from UVA (go virginiaaaa!!)

My pet kerpuffle :D
4ivilo
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023 @636.19 »

Loud noises warning!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnaUeKEND7s

I found a Youtube video of a map recreated in Unreal Engine and this channel has more videos of it. Looks very interesting!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi