Home Help Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2022, 02:08:09 pm
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 18/24hrs Show Unread Posts | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Recent Posts
News: We have new forum categories :-O

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Workshop Zone
| |-+  Website Making
| | |-+  What do you think about neocities alternatives?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you think about neocities alternatives?  (Read 69 times)
Icelogist

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2022, 04:52:03 pm »

A few examples: Github pages, Netlify, Wix, Google Sites, etc.

What I think: When comparing Neocities to the alternatives, the only advantage it has is an actual community since you can look up profiles on their website. While some alternatives give more bang for free without paying for a subscription.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:02:52 pm by Icelogist » Logged

You don't lose when you lose, you lose when you quit.
Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 05:43:56 pm »

~Moved to Website Making

Oh this is a good topic, I think about it often because sometimes I feel like Im always recommending neocities to be people without being able to talk about alternatives! There is a good reason for that though..

So first, what is neocities? Id say its a static web host with no technical skill needed, mixed with a community and a unique culture. However what also really makes NC stand out to me is the reliability and skill that Kyle (the owner) has; as far as I know he owns his own IP addresses and server hardware; this means that no external force like can turn neocities off (except the electricity company!) and it also means sites will not be removed due to random copyright claims on their IP address, or for hosting things like LGBT material that might be banned in some countries.

With that in mind "Github pages, Netlify, Wix, Google Sites" don't actually count as Neocities alternatives to me. They are just web hosts; many require technical skill and none have a community element as you say. There are MANY other web hosts out there and they are all pretty much the same.

The only real Neocities alternatives I know are, ichi.city, mmm.page, Itch.io and tildes like tilde.town. However they all have pros and cons:
  • Ichi.City - The most NC like site, but small storage and does not have the reliability of NC, also has no core "culture", very small community that includes status.cafe
  • MMM.Page - Not a static site host, it uses a website builder, so its a bit more limiting, good if you refuse to learn HTML, a small close community that is heavily moderated from the impression I get
  • Tildes - They need technical skill and are a lot more obscure; the community culture depends on the Tilde
  • Itch.io - Lets you upload sites as "games", also lets you customise your profile like a site, not exactly a host, but possibly the best alternative community to be a part of?

Neocities just happens it sit at a really nice middle of the road, it does everything, with minimal effort and technical skill, has a big establish community that you can take part in or ignore as you like. THATS SAID, Tildes, MMM, Itch or Ichi will suit some people more, but only very particular people, so it's hard to recommend them as a general rule.

Icelogist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 06:04:20 pm »

"Github pages, Netlify, Wix, Google Sites" don't actually count as Neocities alternatives to me. They are just web hosts; many require technical skill and none have a community element as you say. There are MANY other web hosts out there and they are all pretty much the same.

I don't have a good list of actual alternatives so I just used examples that I am aware that exist which led me to list ones that where literally web host platforms or site makers which are a bit off with what Neocities really is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:06:58 pm by Icelogist » Logged

You don't lose when you lose, you lose when you quit.
BradE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:38:44 pm »

I just recently ran across Vistaserv.net.  It does not look like they have a community but they encourage retro static sites and they are free.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines RSS | WAP2 | BBCode Help

Melon Sites!
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Visit the Gif Gallery! Support the Forum
Friend Communites!