Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @691.78 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources
| | | |-+  HTML Journal and the Neon Kiosk (Easy RSS feeds for site news)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HTML Journal and the Neon Kiosk (Easy RSS feeds for site news)  (Read 2802 times)
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: June 21, 2022 @739.70 »

Hello hello dear forum friends!

Recently, I've been developing a little format to write journals in HTML. Here is what the format looks like:

Code
<h1>My journal</h1>

<article>
 <h2>2022-06-21</h2>
 <p>Welcome to my journal!</p>
</article>

If your page has the above elements, it will be recognized as an HTML Journal. HTML Journals can be automatically converted to a web feed (Atom), so anyone subscribe to it and be notified when you update it.

And so where can you read all the journals, you ask? It's on the Neon Kiosk: an HTML Journal aggregator. If you publish an HTML Journal, you can send it over to the Neon Kiosk and updates will appear there.

I hope this helps lower the barriers to publish a feed for our updates. Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023 @138.08 by Melooon » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022 @807.64 »

Out of curiosity is this a clone of the RSS system on my site, because its exactly how mine works, and its (almost) exactly the article structure I use :happy: Or maybe we just think alike?

Either way, this is a really cool project! One request though.. I think my homepage would prob confuse it, can you add the option to make Neon look for content within a specified id as the article area?

For example: view-source:https://melonking.net/home.html (line 433) has all articles in <div id="newsblock"> so being able to ask Neon to only look in "newsblock" would remove almost all issues. (Also I'm know Id need to switch my <div class="article"> to <article> but thats an easy fix!) Also I assume it supports multiple <p>'s per article?? Oh and what happens if I have other things in there like images? It would be cool if it created a link like "IMAGE - Click here to view"

Oh rrrr this is such a cool idea why didn't I think of it! :dl:

EDIT: Also how did you solve the issue of generating consistent unique IDs for atom? I ended up manually numbering all of mine because there was no way to count them once old ones were removed from my homepage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022 @817.65 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022 @265.21 »

I always love your site(s) and ideas! I'm really inspired by them and what I see on sites of people from this forum too. I was writing my journal and maintaining a feed.atom file that I was updating manually. And while it's cool, I'd rather write the journal entry once than on 2 different places. :omg:k:

Either way, this is a really cool project!
Thank youu <3

I think my homepage would prob confuse it, can you add the option to make Neon look for content within a specified id as the article area?

That's a good point! You'd like to make sure other parts of the page that aren't journal entries won't be mistakenly treated as such? If so, I think your page would be fine: HTML Journal looks for every <article> with an <h1> that starts with an iso 8601 formatted date as its 10 first characters. If the article doesn't have such an h1, it's discarded. I've created a validator to help making sure the page follows the right format and is read correctly.

Also I assume it supports multiple <p>'s per article?? Oh and what happens if I have other things in there like images? It would be cool if it created a link like "IMAGE - Click here to view"

At the moment, it just shows everything that's in the <article>, including images, any HTML tags, also <script>, which I should probably forbid! :drat:

EDIT: Also how did you solve the issue of generating consistent unique IDs for atom? I ended up manually numbering all of mine because there was no way to count them once old ones were removed from my homepage.

Oh yes, that was definitely challenging. I've written this spec that describes how to go from an HTML Journal to an Atom feed. Here's the part on ID generation:

An entry's required "id" element is equal to the concatenation of the feed's "id", a # character, and the entry's title (e.g. feed_id#title). Any space character should be converted to "-".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022 @271.30 by m15o » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022 @774.47 »

I updated my site to meet the spec, but the validator says that no artcile are found :sad: https://melonking.net/home.html

Also it would be nice if we could use custom date formats somehow, because while ISO is ok.. its not may favourite, I don't find it very human readable because humans don't need to know the year first, we already know what year it is!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022 @793.37 »

Ohhh awesome! I think what's missing to validate is the month part of the date to be two characters, e.g. 2022-06-22 vs 2022-6-22. If you change that I can add it to the Kiosk. :smile:

Also it would be nice if we could use custom date formats somehow, because while ISO is ok.. its not may favourite, I don't find it very human readable because humans don't need to know the year first, we already know what year it is!

Dates can be so hard! It's a good point though.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022 @823.53 »

Aha that fixed it!

It sets the title as "Welcome Home Kiddo :^]" which I don't mind, thats a cool title for my site, although I should really be "Moo's News" because thats the name of the news section.. but thats another minor issue :omg:k:

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022 @906.79 »

Woohooo :ozwomp:

It's now on the kiosk! You also get an automatic Atom feed from your updates right there: https://journal.miso.town/atom?url=https://melonking.net/home.html :pc:

Unrelated: I love the fact that you wrote a zine!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022 @934.00 »

Cool! Thank you :cheesy: Also zines are actually really fun to make, I wanna do more!

Ok so further feedback, its really cool that you can get a feed of all feeds at https://journal.miso.town/atom?url=https://kiosk.nightfall.city

HOWEVER, the visual presentation could be improved in a reader; for example, why is it showing me the date 3 times and what is the empty link it's generating? (I think I remember status cafe doing the empty links too). It would be nice if it would show journal titles instead of dates as titles.. although that would not work for per journal feeds.. so maybe the kiosk feed needs some extra tweaking and polish? I updated my old RSS feed to cut out dates so its a cleaner look, something like that might work here too.
Its a little bit computery, and could use more of a human touch :4u:

(Kiosk Atom feed on left, Melonland RSS feed on the right - both are generated from the same html page)

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022 @227.59 »

Thank you Melon, this is great feedback! That's definitely one of the shortcomings of the current Atom <> HTML Journal implementation. I'll need to review the part of the spec that talks about titles as well: at the moment, they aren't mandatory:

<article>
 <h1>2022-06-23</h1>
 <p>some text</p>
</article>

The above is a valid entry. I have a few ideas!

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022 @817.72 »

Just a tiny little update to let you know that the journal spec now looks for H2 within the article instead of H1: there are many benefits that should come out of this. Rational.

Also! The Atom support has improved and doesn't add the title within the content. :happy:

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023 @411.37 »

Hey, I was wondering if the layout structure needs to have the most recent entry on top every time like the example, or if the tool will read what the most recent entry is via the date as well?
Because one of my journals progresses from oldest to newest to better document the journey, so the newest entries would always be at the bottom, not the top. Would the HTML Journal/Atom still work for this?

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023 @788.95 »

Hey, I was wondering if the layout structure needs to have the most recent entry on top every time like the example, or if the tool will read what the most recent entry is via the date as well?
Because one of my journals progresses from oldest to newest to better document the journey, so the newest entries would always be at the bottom, not the top. Would the HTML Journal/Atom still work for this?

hi! You can put them in any order. The date will be used for ordering!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023 @816.79 »

hi! You can put them in any order. The date will be used for ordering!

Thank you so much, I will try that soon then :happy:

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 244
Views: 20884
Last post April 18, 2024 @791.28
by formadscience
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 5439
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
Ozwomps Voyage - Playable edition development journal!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 21
Views: 5166
Last post February 27, 2022 @128.44
by ellievoyyd

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi