Home Help Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2021, 06:55:39 pm
Forum activity rating: One Star Posts: 6/24hrs Show Unread Posts | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Recent Posts
News: Minor disaster profile icons lost :^[ Please re-upload! - Added RSS feed link, get the latest forum posts in your RSS reader! - Improved SpaceHey links!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Workshop
| |-+  3D Worlds & Modeling
| | |-+  ♡-->★彡 jade's wurld ・゚✧ ★彡
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ♡-->★彡 jade's wurld ・゚✧ ★彡  (Read 81 times)
cinni

believe in your dreams <3

Discord: michelle#1112
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2021, 06:55:31 am »

i'm slowly working on a game which i'm temporarily calling jade's world

the world is based off of my old childhood neighborhood, and in my latest map overhaul (lol) i took a lot of textures from google maps & the buildings are a mish mash of timelines. i wanted to make a compacted version for the game, to make the world feel smaller but cozier and economical. i work on this project on and off, but i'll share my progress on this thread :-3

game demos...

[demo 01]
[demo 02]
[demo 03] new ★彡

latest progress...

some extra videos can be found on my [instagram post]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:57:23 am by cinni » Logged

Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

Discord: Melonking#7372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 06:06:22 pm »

This is a really cool project and it makes me feel like Im not working on my projects enough  ;D Also your character models are awesome and I still want to see a time lapse of how you do them.

I have a few questions reading this!

Is there gonna be an objective in this world or is it just about the space/exploring?
Do you plan to have a main story, or micro stories of some sort?
I know you've done some multiplayer things, will this be multiplayer?
Are you gonna do a crossover with this and your gallery projects?
Will people be able to drive the cars!?
Do you think its gonna be a web game or a download game as it gets bigger? AND do you think that would change your approach to making it?
Also you've worked on it for a while now and done a few versions, what are the biggest things you've learned / had issues with / would do differently so far, and what things have you found really great or fun.

cinni

believe in your dreams <3

Discord: michelle#1112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 11:04:45 pm »

phew! all great questions!

first off, you finally convinced me to record my process in blender xP i wanted to give my models a bit of an update, so here's how i model/texture/rig low-poly hair. it's already 4x sped up, but it's kinda long so i would recommend watching it at 2x speed to get the gist haha. basically, start with sections/hair strands as planes, then > extrude > merge vertices at the end. start with big, basic shapes and then go in with details. i do hair this way to reduce the # of polygons but also keep it just detailed enough.. it's a balance i sometimes struggle with @_@ but dealing with planes this way is way easier than cubes - one less dimension to worry about.

to answer your questions:

1. EVENTUALLY there will be an objective, i plan to make this an rpg based around a storyline, etc but i'm still learning how to program so for now i'm focusing on world building, making models, etc. cause it's easier for me haha. LIKE i wanted to learn how to implement an inventory system, but then i realize i don't have items yet, so then i hop on to blender and then get distracted with that.. haha.

the game universe is shared with my comic universe, so thru my comics i'm working out the main storyline - vaguely put it's a coming of age story about a girl who finds/befriends/falls in love(?) with a demon, set in a kind of run-down/desolate-from-a-big-storm beach town, which is based off of where i grew up. xP i like stories that are character driven rather than plot, sooo i do suspect there will be side-quests/story lines centered around the cast! i still want to use my idea of music playing a role in gameplay, like improving the town/affecting residents, but one step at a time.... haha

2. i don't plan on the game being multiplayer, BUT that being said, i have thought about making all these scenes into a separate multiplayer project once the world is somewhat finished, just cause i like exploring virtual worlds so much and there's something that itches my dopamine brain of making my childhood neighborhood from the ground-up and living out a weird alternate universe...

3. i plan on making this a stand-alone project from entrance or exit! i like the collaborative aspect of putting together virtual galleries w/ other artists, and jade's world feels so.. me, myself, and i, haha. though i'm starting to explore games as a narrative tool, so there is an overlap in my brain of games-as-part-of-my-art-practice with this project and EOE!

4. YES driving cars is 100% a thing i want, same with riding the bus and making a bus schedule, but my coding skills are just not there yet/haven't gotten around to learning it..  :'(

5. i did plan for this to end up as a downloadable game, but for now i'm making demos for webGL cause i think it's more accessible to play while the world is still fairly small, but i forsee the file size getting too big to run on the browser.. haha. i say this as someone with hardly any free space, i look at some virtual worlds that require you to download a 2GB game and shriek LOL

6. oooh fun question! i think what i'm going to say will apply to anyone just starting out with making games, in that your first project will be a trial run as you learn the inner workings! i still feel this way with these demos, where it's easier for me to start fresh using what i learned with previous demos and start from there.

like, i would use basic player controls, but as the world/my coding developed, i wanted to do more complex things so i needed to upgrade my player controls, which then has a domino effect haha. i mess with one script and it somehow affects other things in the game i didnt suspect! like how i switched scenes. before i just copied the player prefab in each scene, then i realized if i want the player to change and have those changes carry on to other scenes, i need to re-work the whole structure! i expect to do this a few more times over :-p

if i had to start again, i would probably make a few test-games where i'm figuring out all the mechanics, but then again those mechanics will be determined based on the world, sooo i guess just be OK with starting over! as far as things i found really fun, it's the world building and seeing it come to life! silly little things like making a love attack or petting cats! hahaha. i had just finished chulip, a game all about kissing, and thought i really needed to make kissing NPC's a thing in my game, LOL. what's fun about making your own game is that you make the rules of the universe, so if you want a game centered around kissing rather than punching.. well, you can!

i had to sit on this reply for a few days, but i really appreciate the chance to share my process/thoughts >:-O so thanks!

Melooon
Administrator

So many stars!

Discord: Melonking#7372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 08:23:31 pm »

Thank you for this VAST reply! And don't worry about delays answering, the joy of a forum is that time is not important, posts can be days or weeks or YEARS apart and its all fine.

Also thank you for the video, now I just need to learn Blender to make more sense of it :P It answers my biggest overall question which was, is it raw poly editing, and it is!

I don't have many more big questions, it sounds like a really good project and everything you say makes sense. I think people will prob respond to it really well, although you've got a lot of work to add in all the stuff you talk about. Not doing multiplayer is a good plan, I think you've got enough here, although a multi town would be cool too!

I suppose the last and worst question is! How long to you think its going to take? ;D
Annnd assuming you're answer is multiple months to years, I know the kind of issues I run into with big projects, and I assume others here run into these issues too. How do you handle doing large/long projects without losing interest? Do you get overwhelmed by ideas/tasks that need doing? And if so how do you manage that?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines RSS | WAP2

Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Daniels Network Support the Forum