Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @629.76 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  the era of rpgmaker games

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: the era of rpgmaker games  (Read 4074 times)
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: November 20, 2021 @310.13 »

this thread is about rpgmaker games!! did you ever play any? or make games yourself? share it here! I was really into rgmaker3000 and have a few games i started and gave up on lol.

i think what really inspired me tho to get into them was a game called pen pals!!

i was in college when i played this game and i feel like it encapsulates early 2010's tumblr haha. it's very charming and personal about a kid's inner conflict. it also featured a song which i couldnt get out of my head, it fits perfectly lol. peach moon by the unicorns

what i like so much about these games is the ability for self expression.. i remember liking this talk i read by emreed.net, called videogame engines as tools for mass art.

here are some assets from my games that i long abandoned, haha. a part of me still wants to finish them..

-->memento mori::

~space disaster~

the prequel to jade's world :-p

also, i really loved OFF!, even tho i never played it haha. the ost rocks.

m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021 @382.35 »

These assets look absolutely incredible!

I've never finished an RPG Maker game, but I remember my friend and I working on one. We tried to reproduce a Role Playing game our friend group played. One of us was building the graphics while the other the game itself. And while we didn't finish it, all the fun was in the creation. Building something is weirdly addictive! The prospect of sharing the creation with people is as well.

what i like so much about these games is the ability for self expression.. i remember liking this talk i read by emreed.net, called videogame engines as tools for mass art.

Thanks for the link! Almost makes me want to start working on a simple game engine. I started to create a little MMORPG a few months back. And while a whole MMO is too much time commitment, perhaps extracting a little game engine can be a nice project. :smile:

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021 @527.43 »

Penpals! I loved that so much when I first played it... oh, the memories.

I have RPGMaker MV and 2003. Never finished anything with them, but it's really fun to mess around with the programs.
Obspogon
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Hi

StatusCafe: obspogon
iMood: Obspogon
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021 @755.19 »

I played OFF and Oneshot, also Last Word.

----------------------
https://obspogon.neocities.org/
----------------------

TheEnderDraco
Newbie ⚓︎

StatusCafe: theenderdraco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021 @930.69 »

ahh yes i love rpgmaker stuff! esp the horror games like ib, yume nikki, witch's house, mermaid swamp... (and off! i'm not sure if it counts as a horror game but i find it rly cool either way) ive been working on my own game but progress has been kinda. nonexistent lately lol

also those unfinished games look super cool cinni, you shld totally continue them if you want to!!

easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021 @938.85 »

RPG Maker games are poggers

I wanna play some of them. Maybe even use the engine to make games myself.

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
sans
Newbie ⚓︎

always watching

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021 @890.21 »

I'm actually working on one rn! it's a huge project and it's actually super fun and challenging especially when i was trying to do it with the older engines. i'm getting playtesters once i finish it too

Darmodej

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022 @800.82 »

love yume nikki and its fangames, especially 2kki
here's a good tumblr blog with yn fangame gifs/screenshots

ano, ja jsem on
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022 @824.19 »

I don't think the era of RPGmaker games ever really ended! They definitely got a new lease on life through Steam. There's so many good modern ones. LISA is brilliant, and I've been meaning to check out Omori (waiting on the Switch port).

I did make my own RPGmaker game ages ago, on the PS1 version! It was about a dog doing dog things. Mostly I got it so I could play other people's games, but I could never get my DexDrive working...

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022 @96.17 »

I don't think the era of RPGmaker games ever really ended! They definitely got a new lease on life through Steam. There's so many good modern ones. LISA is brilliant, and I've been meaning to check out Omori (waiting on the Switch port).

I did make my own RPGmaker game ages ago, on the PS1 version! It was about a dog doing dog things. Mostly I got it so I could play other people's games, but I could never get my DexDrive working...

I've never gave LISA a chance but I've certainly heard of it! same with omori! i remember when it started fundraising ages ago and kind of forgot about it BUT anyways it looks interesting! :-)

Also, I never realized there was a ps1 version of RPGmaker! :omg: man I would've loved to see some of those games!

Ajota

StatusCafe: Ajota

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022 @624.42 »

I know that I was addicted to rpg maker because of the horror ones, I never really played another genre of rpg maker so much.
I played all the well known games, Mad Father, Misao, Ib, etc. It was so fun, but eventually I just stopped playing, for no particular reason.

Recently this game Lily's Well launched on steam, and it brings back my love for rpg maker! (And also my love for pixel art)

But I'm also searching for another genres to play too, change a little bit.
Darmodej

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022 @920.42 »

yooo been binging japanese rpgmaker horror for the last week
really liked ib and witch's house so far

ano, ja jsem on
pleb-hates-the-modern-web
Casual Poster

is this thing on?

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022 @135.94 »

recently rediscovered my love for horror rpgmaker games; mostly the well-known ones like misao and mad father, but also some much smaller and more recent ones like soulvoid (which i cannot recommend enough)!
Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022 @537.51 »

This takes me back... I used to play Yume Nikki and Ib all the time when I was a young teen!

- Danny

brawler

i believe in nissan silvia j's

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022 @396.45 »

Oh man, I could go on and on about my love for rpgmaker games (and i will, sorry in advanced for the long post :evil:smile:! They have so much charm to them, especially the ones from 2009-2014 era. I especially love Ib, played that on the family computer when I was in middle school and been down in the rabbit hole ever since. One of my all-time favorites has gotta be Space Funeral! The music, graphics, and story make it such a memorable experience.

Some honorable mentioned of course: Ghost Hospital (i wonder if that got finished..  :dunno:smile:, Ao Oni, OFF (of course), Five Nights at Fuckboys, Mogeko Castle... So many good ones.

I have made/worked on a few as well! My friends and I made a series based on what was happening in our lives at the time (we were in highschool, so it was overdramatized) back in 2014-2015. We made 3 games, as well as a "final version" of the third game. It was a blast. We recreated our school and houses, then made it as silly as possible with a Fist of the North Star-esque flair to it. Also made small cutscenes, using iMovie! Each game is about 3 hours long.

In 2019, we tried doing the same thing again but with our new artistic experiences, but I found myself being the only one making any assets/programming the whole thing; it never got finished :drat:

Also made my GF a game for her birthday, it was a short collectathon with a bunch of inside jokes and modified sprites from Melon Journey.

I hope to revisit RPGmaker to make a game for my current "brand", and really build one from the ground up now that I have the skills to do so :smile:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022 @826.60 by brawler » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4959
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1161
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1518
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi