Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @829.81 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games
| | | |-+  Payphone spotting! - Post pictures of Payphones

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Payphone spotting! - Post pictures of Payphones  (Read 3204 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: November 23, 2021 @748.25 »

PaY PhOne spOTtinG 👀 👀 👀 📸

This idea is loosely based on 2600 Magazine, they have a page dedicated to picture of payphone sent in by readers. I find Iv taken to spotting payphones wherever I go, soon there may be none left :notgood: Be aware, payphone spotting is a valid and serious sport and you can and will become rich doing it!!

If you spot a payphone in your local area or on your travels, take a picture of it and post it here! Together we will save the payphones (in picture form)

Kinsale, Ireland - 2021

Fuji Q Park, Japan - 2019

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
CooperationIsKey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Something Clever

StatusCafe: CooperationIsKey
iMood: CooperationIsKey

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021 @118.56 »

Well dang, I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a payphone. Maybe outside my favorite Chinese restaurant (rip)? That was years ago already.

Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021 @113.45 »

One of the small things that always struck me while going through airports is passing by sections inside the terminals/concourse where you know there used to be a bunch of payphones because the stalls are all still there -- but the actual phones have all been removed and the airport hasn't figured out what to replace them with yet. It's a bit of a nostalgic bummer, but I guess it goes with the times. That said, it does warm my heart to see efforts to document these little guys in photo form -- will be sure to snap any photos if I see any rare payphones out and about. The one in Kinsale's got such a delightful personality to it :':wink:

Status Cafe Profile
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021 @944.16 »

i love this! here's a payphone i spotted in london (there's still a lot there!):

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022 @19.38 »

Spotted in Cork, Ireland on the 4th of March 2022!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022 @22.07 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022 @965.75 »

i love this! here's a payphone i spotted in london (there's still a lot there!):

https://i.imgur.com/U9bvVeg.jpg

Can you time travel in those?

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Sylvian
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022 @39.11 »

I like payphone aesthetics, I have an idea to install a self designed VOIP payphone outside of my house or business. However, there are a few problems with this idea. Firstly, it probably violates various zoning laws or permit things. Secondly, in the case of a residential area, it gives a pretext for strange / unknown people from the street to approach my house on a regular basis. Probably for a commercial space it makes more sense, since it could be used to invite people to the place of business.

Physical analog phone-lines (rather than digitized VOIP lines) sadly are no longer in place in many places. I'm curious if we could have an alternative form of internet using analog lines again (a stronger version of dialup)

I really want to try to beef up my phone space, but it's difficult to do this without increasing the risk of toll fraud and other problems. Still, it's worth doing (interactive IVR for my site, a payphone IVR when I eventually get a space where it is safe and acceptable for me to install an art payphone, basically IVR used for artistic ideas either in a physical or virtual space (e.g., choose your own adventure game that is only accessible from that phonebooth, perhaps as part of an ARG))

An interesting story about a person who maintained a phone booth on his property that a lost child used to phone home.
https://news.yahoo.com/lost-child-uses-local-minnesota-174654952.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022 @50.76 by Sylvian » Logged

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023 @483.43 »

Sacramento

* C44020BD-312F-4892-A03B-038151534B2A.jpeg (175.66 kB, 480x640 - viewed 41 times.)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023 @153.41 »

Vancouver

Do not ask me what is in there. It’s downtown eastside that’s all you need to know.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023 @910.24 »

Portland

This one still works!

* 953E9516-E581-4045-B74C-1A3738D6ACBE.jpeg (403.2 kB, 960x1280 - viewed 41 times.)
Rowan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Silly Mook

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023 @895.96 »

I had passed by a payphone on a vacation a year back. Sadly, I never took a photo of it!  :drat:
If I go there again, I'll make sure to get a photo of it if it still happens to be there.

Quote from: melooon
you: Hello fridge, I would like the milk please :cheesy:
fridge: Ooo u look so pretty, lemmy order more onions from Amazon
you: wait no! :drat:
fridge: i love you so much i ordered onions!

skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

iMood: skull_aton

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023 @701.24 »

I have quite literally been thinking about this thread for months.
Tipping back and forth. should i post? should i not post? Quite the question.

The reason why I'm hesitant is because payphones aren't dead in my country. Here's an article by Telstra as to why they're still around.

But when I lived in another country, I realised how precious these little phones are! And how they sadly are not maintained.

Anyways, here's the payphone down the street from me. :)

:ozwomp: :ha: :4u: partyin in the graveyard :4u: :ha: :ozwomp:
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023 @402.26 »

Oy mate! What a fantastic way to make use of the old telephone infrastructure. A public telephone network for all. Get people away from forcing people to use mobile phones for everything. That's a way to do it!

In the attachments, a Telekom-pink payphone in Germany. They're scattered around various parts of the city, but are they ever in use? I wonder how expensive it really is to maintain them. They look like they last forever.

* tel1.gif (88.49 kB, 512x384 - viewed 19 times.)

* tel2.gif (94.11 kB, 512x384 - viewed 15 times.)
egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

dumpster diver who is a girl named bert

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024 @188.59 »

god i saw so many payphones last year and couldnt photograph them because we had to trek along -_- heres this semi-local one -_-

his name is tobias.

Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024 @198.82 »

Oh this threat is AMAZING!

I feel like I see a lot of payphone booths with the phone ripped out and I rarely see a working one but I'm gonna start looking!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 13107
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy
Post your Lego Creations here!

Started by NeonriserBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 7
Views: 2064
Last post November 21, 2023 @291.50
by wetnoodle
just post ur art here i guess

Started by borisBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 12
Views: 2714
Last post April 07, 2024 @908.97
by Mela

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi