Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @735.67 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 30/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Too many options :S How do you pick what to do?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Too many options :S How do you pick what to do?  (Read 623 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: October 14, 2023 @794.36 »

An issue I often run into when I'm planning a project is that there are too many possibilities! If I'm making a game, there are so many engines, styles, gametypes etc. If I'm making a site there are many eras, aesthetics and media types to pick.

I find its less of an issue for me with websites because there are a few consistent rules to web design that tend to always been required, but when I'm planning games it's a real headwrecker. Do I want it to be focused on a particular mechanic, or does the story matter more? If I focus on one thing too much it turns into a visual novel, if I focus on a mechanic too much it turns into a puzzle game. Sometimes starting a project can feel like trying to walk on ice, you just slip and slide everywhere.  :drat:

What are some of your tips for deciding what to do and focusing on a particular idea?

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023 @879.57 »

Very interesting question! I don't make games, but often get overwhelmed by ideas when drawing. There's so much I'd like to add, so many styles I'd like to experiment with!

Of course, drawing has a lot less «rules» than game design, so you could technically mix a bunch of different art styles and mediums together. One thing I like to do from time to time is create moodboards of things I'd like to reference, such as clothes, poses, styles... I found it really helps with focusing on a specific idea, though I usually just wing it and see where my mind takes things.

This would only apply to the art style of the game. I think a trap I always fell into when trying to create a game is not thinking about the gameplay loop first, often jumping into projects creating RPG Maker sprites instead of using placeholders... As you can see, I'm not the best at focusing, whoops. I think that it's probably best to decide on a core game mechanic before anything else, honestly.

Remember to eat dessert <3
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023 @936.05 »

I thought I was insane for a second, but I was correct; you kinda did make this thread before :ok: :ok: but I guess the other one is more about actions than different items to pick from?

In terms of different options to pick from when creating (like you said; different styles, engines, software, tools, languages..) I try to identify the following:
- Does it cost me something or is it free?
- Is it proprietary or open source?
- Is there a big enough documentation and learning tools?
- Is it well supported and meant for longevity?
- Are there any prerequisites/prior knowledge needed?

So in practice, to showcase this: I would try to avoid things that are very expensive, closed source, has little to no documentation and isn't big enough for random people to have done tutorial videos on it, and seems like it is only maintained by one guy who could decide to drop it any time, and stuff I would need a lot of other knowledge for that I don't yet have.

But I would love stuff that is free, open source, easy to use with a big documentation, youtube tutorials and other learning tools, either has a long history or has a big potential for the future, and has a big enough community that is passionate in supporting it and creating it, as well as creating content for it. And ideally, there isn't any prior knowledge needed.

Of course, in reality, usually the thing is a mix of these.

I feel like you can apply this more or less, with some slight changes for each, to digital and analog, software and hardware, painting techniques and programming languages alike.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023 @956.15 »

you kinda did make this thread before
Ah I totally forgot about that one; but it was actually a really different question, though I can totally see how you'd connect the two - that thread was about big life decisions (like quitting a job or breaking up with a friend).

This question is less about single actions and more about the creative process with all the many little choices that add up to a whole project. I suppose in a lot of ways the same answers apply to both; so that's a really good observation in itself!

not thinking about the gameplay loop first
I think that's part of my trouble too. I get caught up in an aesthetic idea and then try to fit that idea into some sort of loop way too late in the process.

I think every time I approach a game project, I end up in the same flawed loop of starting with the mood and working backwards towards gameplay (mood is what I enjoy most after all). That's not how I design websites at all! With websites, I always start with the functionality and work forward to the mood :omg: This is very useful to realise, thank you!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023 @338.45 »

Do I want it to be focused on a particular mechanic, or does the story matter more?

Depends on the kind of game!
For example, I made a racing game in an engine designed for RPGs. Well, getting the "racing part" (the driving, the timekeeping, the rankings...) to work is the most important part. And everything else can be built on top of that. A clear case of game mechanics first!

I'd say, if you picked one game engine, and something handsome came out of that, stay with that tool forever. All I can say is, you'll learn how to handle this specific tool better and better, even after years of use. Maybe this approach would fail in professional game development, where things move on more quickly. But as there are some commercial games being made with my beloved "amateur engine", the OHRRPGCE, I think you can pick everything that creates games and make your own stuff.

Also, if you stay with one engine, you may always reuse your ideas, that might have come to a dead-end now, but might have some potential with more development, or fit perfectly like a puzzle piece later in development (these things happen miracioulusly). The unfinished ideas are never wasted, that's my point.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3218
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 55
Views: 5249
Last post April 10, 2024 @574.35
by Misanthropic Monster™
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3885
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi